Step 1: Search for a Title
On the PLSclear.com homepage, enter the title, ISBN/ISSN or top level URL of the website of the material you are seeking permission to reuse.
We recommend searching by ISBN or ISSN as it is most accurate.
- If searching by ISBN, search for the ISBN number without hyphens or spaces.
- If you are searching for a journal article, search for the title or ISSN of the journal not the article title or DOI. PLSclear does not currently hold article level data.
- If you are searching for a poem, search for the title or ISBN of the book that the poem is published in. We’ll ask for the title of the poem later in the Request Wizard form.
- If you are searching for a book chapter, search for the title or ISBN of the book that the chapter is published in. We’ll will ask you to provide chapter details later in the Request Wizard form.
- If you are looking to re-use content found on a website, search for the top-level domain, without any hyphens or spaces. For example, search for PLSclear.com instead of PLSclear.com/publishers.
Step 2: Select the title you want to reuse
Select the title that you wish to seek permission from in the search results by clicking on the title of the book.
If there is more than one result, check the publisher column to ensure you are selecting the correct edition of the title.
A tick mark beside a title indicates the publisher is fully participating in PLSclear. You can still make requests for titles without a tick mark but response times may vary.
Step 3: Select the type of content you want to reuse
Enter a number into the box indicating how many text extracts/quotes, poems, illustrations, tables and or chapters you are using from the title.
You can request up to 25 of each category on this page. If you need to request more than 25 extracts, you will need to submit more than one request.
If you are requesting a book or magazine cover, enter a number beside the 'image' option.
Step 4: Provide more details about the content you are reusing
Fill in the required fields with the content you are using from the original work.
If you do not know the exact number of words you are using, estimate using 450 words per page.
Step 5: Select how you will be reusing the content
Choose how you will be using the content from the options available.
If you are unable to find the format you require, please select one that is the closest match. You will be able to provide additional information describing your project later in the form.
Step 6: Enter details about your new publication
Be sure to proofread your responses as the details entered here will appear on the licence!
If you do not have information such as print run or retail price, please check with your publisher. You can also provide estimate figures but please indicate that the numbers are estimates that may change.
Step 7: Review and submit your request
Review the information you have provided before submitting your request as these details cannot be changed after your request is submitted.
If you are not logged into PLSclear, you will be prompted to log into your account or create a new PLSclear account at this time. Make sure the address details you enter are correct as these will appear on the licence.
After you have submitted your request, you will receive an email prompting you to set a password. You will need to set a password in order to receive your licence in the system.
Step 8: Receive a response from the publisher
Once your request is submitted, it is kept in your Request Manager inbox. All responses from the publisher will be made through the Request Manager.
To help understand the various responses to a request, a key is available at the bottom of the Request Manager.